FEDERAL MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT

Parent Organization: FEDERAL MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT

Type: Ministry

Principal Officers

Establishment Act

[Draft National Transport Policy, 2010]

262_Draft National Transport Policy.pdf
Areas of statutory responsibilities and functions

Give consideration to concessioning of the railway system either in two or three segments to operators who will professionally manage the system and to develop it on the basis of cost effectiveness, taking into account the 25 year Railway Development Plan

Make Nigeria a hub for maritime activities in West and Central Africa and as a matter of urgency, look into discharging and releasing containers/cargo shipments from our ports within 72 hours of their berthing and gradually reduce this to 48 hours before May 2007

Develop modern transport system that fully exploits the potentials of each mode, instead of the existing dependence on road transport, which accounts for nearly 95% of total traffic with all the other modes sharing the remaining 5%

Reverse public sector monopoly of major transport enterprises particularly rail and maritime which hitherto, attracted huge public funds, but suffered decay, mismanagement, inappropriate maintenance and poor service delivery

Institute private sector led transport system that is responsive to the needs of a modern industrial economy, with Public Private Partnership in developing infrastructure

Expand transport infrastructure to support and stimulate economic activities throughout the country, including the rural areas

Improve access to quality transport services throughout the country to enhance mobility of persons and goods, promote trade, facilitate regional development and national integration

Reduce pressure for budgetary allocations to transport sector whilst creating an enabling environment for private investments

Ensure that transport infrastructural projects are planned, prioritized and managed to maximize economic returns

Ensure that the public enjoys new or improved transport services at affordable rate, and value-for-money

Agencies
  1. Nigerian Shippers' Council (NSC)
  2. Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA)
  3. Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA)
  4. Nigerian Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA)
  5. Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC)
  6. Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology (NITT)
  7. Maritime Academy of Nigeria (MAN)
  8. Council for the Regulation of Freight Forwarding in Nigeria (CRFFN)
Departments
  1. Rail and Mass Transit
  2. Maritime Services
  3. Human Resources Management;
  4. Transport Planning and Coordination
  5. Finance and Accounts
  6. Internal Audit Unit
  7. Legal Unit
  8. Press and Public Relations Unit
  9. Servicom Unit
  10. Anti-corruption and Transparency Unit
Annual Reports (for 2010-2012) and information on Reporting Deadlines for each MDA
266_Federal Ministry of Transport Presentation.pdf
Addresses/Contact info of offices in all States and in FCT

Dipcharima House
Central Business District
P.M.B. 0336
Garki
Abuja

enquiry@fmt.gov.ng


+234-709-882-2952